“Following a 10 year career in a variety of senior management roles, I’ve continued to consult with Asda on occasional projects.”
Asda is the second largest supermarket retailer in the UK with annual sales of around £20 billion and almost 200,000 employees. The business became part of the largest retailer in the world, Wal-mart Inc, in 2000.
I held a number of senior positions with the business prior to becoming an independent consultant in 2002. I held positions on the Operations Board, Trading Board and the company boards of several subsidiaries in addition to leading several high profile strategic initiatives for the business. I’ve continued to consult with both Asda & Wal-mart on a number of projects since.
Some of my most notable achievements are showcased below.
CRM & Data Strategy
Delivered a business and technology strategy which would enable the tracking and analysis of customer interactions across multiple business units and channels. CRM strategy agreed by the Board and implementation commenced. Read More
Asda Financial Services Launch
Set up the programme office, including management processes, materials and resources, and creation of baseline programme plan for major strategic project to create a retail financial services business. The programme co-ordinated activities of both the retailer and its several financial service provider partners. Read More
Director of New Channels and Chief Technology Officer
- Led the development of new channels including Asda.com, interactive TV and call centre. Read More
- Designed & implemented store-based fulfilment to enable rapid customer rollout. Read More
- Migrated loss-making trial operation to profitable full-scale rollout in just 18 months.
- Led the integration of all finance and back office operations following Wal-Mart acquisition
- Replaced almost every core system in the business 130,000 colleagues. Read More
Director of Internal Audit and Loss Prevention
- Saved £1m pa by in-sourcing the UK internal audit team
- Saved £2m restructuring the loss prevention team and reduced shrinkage by over £20m pa.
- Team of 120 managing the core financial operations of the £6bn turnover group
- Introduced workflow and document imaging, invoice matching and OLAP planning and forecasting, and implemented major restructuring, improving efficiency by 35% in 12 months.
General Manager – Retail Banking
- Led the strategic development of a £50m profit joint venture retail banking organisation
- Led all aspects from strategy, product, marketing, financial, commercial, IT & partner management.
Commercial Manager – Loyalty
- Developed and trialled multiple loyalty scheme mechanics, evaluated impacts and then saved £80m withdrawing schemes to focus on an everyday low pricing strategy.
Finance Director – Burwood House Group PLC
- Refinanced this £400m property JV with British Aerospace and disposed of £100m of assets
- Integrated the operation with Asda and closed the London office.
- Re-engineered processes and implemented bank rec systems reducing headcount by 50%
- Renegotiated banking, credit card and cash transit contracts saving £5m pa.
Technology Strategy Manager
- Implemented a full project management methodology across all Asda’s project managers
- Led the feasibility and early designs for sales based replenishment and item accounting systems.
IT Development Manager
- Implemented cash handling & store accounting systems in all stores saving £6m in wage costs. Read More
Commercial Investigations Manager
- Created a new business improvement team to support Asda’s turnaround plan
- Identified opportunities & initiated projects to increase profit by over £20m pa.